Tuesday, September 15, 2009

One of my heroes

It is really odd for me to admit to a hero: Richard Dawkins, Richard Feynman, Stephen King...

John T Reed.

Mr Reed is a hero to me for a reason. His B.S Detection is awesomely good not only for detecting B.S. from Real Estate Scammers, but scammers in general. If something appears too good to be true, it probably is. If it is supported by a mass of "testimonials" it most probably is. If it makes use of waffle words like "easy money", "risk-free", "painless", "dream stealer", "nothing down"... it most definitely is.

I first found his site when I was researching Robert "Rich but non-existant imaginary Dad, Not so successful Dad that was the superintendant of education in Hawaii and to all accounts a perfectly adequete father" Kiyosaki. My boss at the time was a complete Kiyosaki fanatic who'd lent me a couple of his books. I found them interesting, but had qualms about the ethics of some of the things mentioned. Lie to the bank about your loans? It was okay to lie to the vendor and take their home for much less than it was worth?

Mr Reed has a whole page just on the topic of Kiyosaki here which goes on for page after page of a breakdown of claims Kiyosaki has made.

I'm not that interested in real estate, and as Mr Reed says, his advice wouldn't be suitable for Australia anyway simply due to the difference in laws and culture. I am interested in busting scams, which to me is why John T. Reed is a hero.

No comments: